Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Day Late, a Five Cent Deposit Short

I felt like I'd shown up five minutes late to the Duran Duran vocalist audition to find Simon Le Bon already in the band. I was devastated, crestfallen, inconsolable.

For a good two years I'd been crafting this concept of a website: a user-driven, wiki-style index of if and where (relative to your zip code) anything and everything can be recycled.

Have a copy of George W. Bush's A Charge to Keep that you no longer want, but no one will take, let alone buy? No problem, your nearby facility, City Carton, just added book recycling to its repertoire. Does your company go through loads of ink cartridges that are ending up in landfills? Well, this company will pay you to let them recycle those. These are but a couple of the potential success stories I envisioned.

Anyway, I had the concept, the desire, and even a badass web design company to help make it happen. All I needed was a name.

And then, about a month ago, it came to me: Recyclopedia.

There it was. I felt like a schoolboy again, I was so excited! Within minutes, I called a friend to ask him if he was interested in helping. He was. From there, I began to brainstorm the logistics (possible costs, etc). But then, on a whim, I googled "Recyclopedia", which led me to THIS.

Recyclopedia.net? With a mixture of horror and wonder, I read the site's description:
This is a website to help you find information on how to correctly dispose of things. First choose your location and then find what you're trying to get rid of on the list. We'll tell you whether it can go out with the trash, in your blue box, to a charity or if it needs special attention.
That there was a website out there whose mission so closely paralleled my own, that I could believe. But that it literally had the exact same name, that was just eerie.

Well, for the last month I sulked—like a big, bitter baby—about being beaten to the punch. After more reflection, though, I now realize that all that matters is that someone has put this idea into effect. So, if your city/county is missing (like mine is) from Recyclopedia's small but growing database of participating areas, please join me in heeding their call:
If you don't see your location listed, drop us a line and we'll tell you how to get your area online.

3 comments:

axe said...

I will attest to the excitement and seeming novelty of your idea and your subsequent spiraling depression after said revelation. Still a great idea but you are no longer the wind beneath my wings.

Paul said...

I noticed the book drop off at city carton a few days ago. it's a nice addition

Anonymous said...

Hi Mic,

Your blog showed up on my Google Alerts for recyclopedia.net .

We're iWasteNot Systems, the company providing Recyclopedia.net and other services (like www.foodtrader.org and (wait for it) even....www.manuretrader.org)

Since your blog we've heard from one person wanting a Recyclopedia service for his area, and he's even interested in helping us out to get the service placed, and better known around the world.

So thanks. Think globally, but keep acting locally.

Norm Ruttan
iWasteNot Systems
www.iwastenotsystems.com
1-800-630-7864